The Regional Prefecture

the building of the regional prefecture photo 1

The building of the former Regional Prefecture, today the Regional Court, is one of the greatest accomplishments of the renowned Serbian architect Aleksandar Bugarski who also projected the National Theatre and the King’s Court buildings in Belgrade. It was raised between 1886 and 1888. It has stylistic characteristics of the academism that at that time was dominating, with elements of Neo Renaissance and Neoclassicism. The characteristic thing about the building of the former Regional Prefecture is the use of metal pillars in the interior as a new construction option in architectural work.

The building of the former Regional Prefecture was among the first public buildings in Serbia on which the newly-established state coat-of-arms was placed: a two-headed eagle with a shield with a cross and four tinders on its chest – which from the Second World War and to 2005 was substituted by a five-pointed star.

Aleksandar Bugarski had an exquisite talent and education; he was a member of Serbian scholarly society of that time and was attached to renaissance balance and harmony of proportions; he possessed refined feeling for overall harmony, reflected both in the choice and application of stylistic elements and in objects proportion defining, as well as their blending into an ambient that surrounds them; And for all these reasons Aleksandar Bugarski designs The County Administration Building in Smederevo, one of the most beautiful buildings of the kind in Serbia. This Building represents the first profane edifice of colossal proportions not only in Smederevo, but in the Serbia countryside as well.

The facades of the former Regional Prefecture are lavishly decorated and are a perfect fit to its purpose. The ground floor is of rustic shape and designed in the style of neo – renaissance. Stylistic floor processing is determined with elegantly designed classicistic work of primary and secondary decorative plastic and façade rhythm of fullness and emptiness applied in a shapely order of strict academism.

The interior of the former Regional Prefecture is reflected through a metal pillar with a purpose of a constructive element. Before appearing as such in the Old County building, it had been used in the Serbian architecture of a new century for the first time by Aleksandar Bugarski who constructed a chapel of Dina Mancic in the Old Cemetery of Smederevo.

You Might Also Like...

The Church of St George

The church of St. George

The church of Saint George is one of the largest churches of the 19th century in Serbia. The church represents the pinnacle of early Romantic Historicism.

Read More

The Old City Hall

The Old City Hall

The building of the former city hall was raised between 1926 and 1928, as a project of the Russian architect Nikolaj Krasnov in the spirit of eclecticism.

Read More