The first mention of books and library in our town are connected to Djuradj Brankovic, a smart and educated ruler, who had an extremely rich library in his palace in the Smederevo fortress.
In the modern sense of the word, the first library in our town was the Smederevo Citaliste (reading place), founded in 1846. It was the first cultural institution in our city and one of the first public libraries in the Principality of Serbia. Eventually, the Smederevo Citaliste became the National library of Smederevo.
Credits for opening and the existence of Citaliste belong to famous people from Smederevo of that time, including Paun Jankovic Baca, who at the time was the Minister of Education in Serbia.
During the decades of its existence and work, the Library had changed locations and names (Smederevo citaliste, Smederevo Unity Reading room, National library and reading room) and worked with occasional interruptions. It suffered the greatest damage in the explosion of ammunition in 1941, when the building was destroyed along with all the books from the Library. By engaging the Commissariat for the restoration of Smederevo, the National library started working in November 1943. Since then, it has worked continuously, and since 1990, under the name National Library of Smederevo, it has been moved to a new, specially designed and adequately equipped area covering 1945m2, in the very center of town.
Today, it’s one of the most modern and successful libraries in Serbia. It has a stock of 250,000 books, magazines, newspapers and non-print material and modern library equipment. It has five reading rooms, three in the interior and two summer reading rooms, with a total of 150 reading seats. Reading and study rooms are modern and air-conditioned, so that they provide users with excellent working conditions throughout the year. Each year, 8,000-10,000 members join the Smederevo Library, and the daily frequency is 600-800 users.